With Powder Matt Mosteller
It happens to the best of us. We get excited about an idea. We jump into it with frenzy and ambition. We might not be properly prepared. We are in over our heads. It’s a theme many of us are familiar with, perhaps in our lives, perhaps from the news.
Powder Matt Mosteller sets the stage for our conversation today by sharing a story of lofty teenage goals, finding himself in over his head and getting himself safely out of it. <– I wasn’t going to include that spoiler but since he’s here to tell us about it, you could already make that assumption.
Matt is Powder Matt an outdoor adventure and travel writer for many Canadian publications such as the Calgary Herald, Globe and Mail, and Vancouver Sun. He is senior vice president of marketing and resort experience for Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, author of the book The Adventurer’s Guide to Living a Happy Life and speaker.
From this and many other experiences throughout his life, he helps us prevent our next shit show by giving us a full-on primer on everything you should consider for your first backpacking trip: he helps us prevent our next shit show by giving us a full-on primer on everything you should consider for your first backpacking trip: conditioning for your trip, where to go, what kind of gear needs your consideration, personal health and safety and things to think about when you bring the kids and/or dogs along.
Even if you aren’t planning a trip, it’s a good lesson in life.
- Trailforks –
- GaiaGPS app – ($20 and worth every penny of comfort this app brings to you) I’m in France as I publish this and Gaia app has been a savior for us! It is highly accurate and the France IGN map I downloaded has all the old roads and trails mapped out. We were able to easily put together a loop in a very rural area of many trails and little information. What’s great, is you can download and use offline. (Some maps also have an extra cost)
Places to go:
- Coastal Long Trial – (permitted area)
- Skyline in Jasper National Park
- Rockwall in Kootenay National Park
- Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park
- Mountain Lakes Trail in Fernie
- St Mary’s Alpine Park in Kimberley BC
- Mt Robson Provincial Park – Bird Lake Trail with heli drop.
Where to find Powder Matt online:
Want to do me a huge favor?
If you enjoyed this episode of the Gear Show,
- Please share with your friends.
- Write a review on iTunes and subscribe.
- Tell me your story in the comments below – it might shape future episodes
See you next week![ssba]
Leave a Reply